What happened to winter?

Surprise - the first iris of the year.
cemetery iris

A bedraggled coneflower.
coneflower

Mealy blue sage.
mealy blue sage

Mexican bush sage.
Mexican sage

'La Marne' rose.
La Marne rose

'Old Blush' rose.
Old Blush

Freshly mulched rosemary.
rosemary

As for foliage, we have - a sprout of Russian sage and a heartleaf skullcap seedling.
seedlings

Hiding under the santolina - tulip clusiana foliage.
tulip foliage

I expect the grape hyacinth, freesia, anemone and ranunculus flowers will bust out any day now.
bulb foliage

What spring flowers are popping up in your winter garden? Leave a comment and let me know.

Words and photos © 2009-2016 Caroline Homer for "The Shovel-Ready Garden". Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited.

Comments

  1. Rosemary is right on the ball but I think you had better tell the others to go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have buds on my Carolina jessamine. But my biggest surprise this mild winter is how summer- and fall-blooming plants are still going in January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been the weirdest year ever! Hate to prune my Turks caps because they're blooming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment